Monday, September 10, 2018

Couch, Tent & Kid's Bed Surfing

Kid's bed surfing

What happens when a totally organized, admittedly anal retentive, fastidious and not very spontaneous middle-aged woman takes a two-month long road trip that requires living out of her car and very little planning?

Well, I guess I'm finding out.

I'm on Day 12 of this road trip and have put 1700 miles on my car.  I've been to Boise, ID, Portland, OR, Washougal and Seattle, WA and Ashland, OR so far.  I've done one load of laundry.

Things I'm trying to do on this trip:

-not overplan
-go with the flow
 
Seattle Storm WNBA finals game one and Ravenna neighborhood alley party

-be ok with less than sparkling, squeaky clean bathrooms
-be ok with small spaces
-be ok with severe quiet
-be ok with lots of commotion
-try not to severely startle when the gas station attendant creeps up to my driver's side window in Oregon and insists on filling my tank and washing my windshield (full service state)
-explore new places
-be prepared to change whatever plan I have for the day
-be confident when solo
-make new friends (especially with ducks)
Dana, Vern, Clever & Wellington

-reconnect with old friends
Nicole and Jim from my UM and HighScope days

-invite friends from home on the trip
 
With Jeff in Portland and Jennifer Jo in Boise

-write everyday, or most days
-read books and articles on PAPER
-stretch, roll and do yoga everyday
-take lots of breaks while driving
-hike, hike,  hike
-pause and enjoy the scenery
Columbia River Gorge, Washougal WA

-find new places to play pickleball
Pickleball in Gladstone, OR

-spend one hour (or more) a day in quiet (no screens, no music, no talking)
-try not to be too connected (via texting, emails, etc)
-not be afraid of bears while in my tent
Tent site in Willow-Witt Ranch

I've slept in my tent, in guest bedrooms, in basements (complete with rifles, chaps and a typewriter hanging on the wall), in a little girl's bedroom, on couches and in a hotel.  I'm trying to get a really great night's sleep.  It has happened only once so far, in a friend's guest room.  Fingers crossed it happens tonight.

Reflecting here on Day Twelve, I'm very pleased with the way this trip is unfolding.

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! Miss playing with you and glad you are finding places to play. Hi Jeff!

    ReplyDelete