Sunday, September 2, 2018

Highlights from La Grande, Oregon and Wallowa Lake


View from the top of Wallowa Lake tram, Oregon

My friend Jennifer Jo, (JJ),  grew up in La Grande, Oregon.  I've heard about this place for the fifteen years I've known her, and I have know her parents for many of those years.  I was well overdue for a visit to her parent's home and to her childhood valley.  It's a lovely part of northeast Oregon.

We have packed so much into these two days I will list a few of the highlights.

First day here I met JJ's brother and we pruned surprise muscat grape vines in their parent's backyard.  These grapes have been in the dehumidifier ever since turning into raisins.


Making raisins from Muscat grapes found in backyard


Walked around town and Eastern Oregon University and walked the route JJ used to take home from elementary school.  This included a walk along the original Oregon Trail.


Oregon Trail marker, La Grande OR 1843-57

Drove in JJ's folk's new RV, aka, The Little House, to Wallowa Lake.


   
Driving to Wallowa Lake, OR

Almost ripped off the vent unit on the top of the RV pulling into the Summerville Cemetery archway on the way to the lake.  This was due to my poor navigating skills!


Summerville Cemetery entry


Enjoyed hanging out with the mountain squirrels at the top of the tram of Wallowa Lake.

 
  
See the little critter?


Iconic Mount Emily in La Grande, OR


Days Three and Four!

No comments:

Post a Comment