Sunday, September 23, 2018

Change Is The Only Constant


I'm on Day 25 of this roadie.  Tonight I'm staying in my first low budget hotel on this trip.  $47 including tax at The American Inn in Elko, Nevada (ironically run by a lovely, little Indian woman). $47 gets me fresh towels, WiFi, a mini fridge, a microwave, a tv and Gideon's Bible. Oh, and a built in bottle opener in the bathroom door frame.

I was commenting to a friend about how many trips to my car I have to make at all the different places I go to gather stuff I need.  He said, "you will be so dialed in by the time you are done with this trip."  True, but the reality is, every place that I go is different and requires different stuff.  I am exceedingly organized in my car set-up though, and that helps tremendously.  In fact, I don't know how someone messy or disorganized could attempt a trip like this, living out of one's car and staying in different places most nights.  Change is indeed status quo for me right now and my organizational skills help me accept this new, temporary reality.  Ah, but is change ever temporary?

Since my last post, the Fall Equinox occurred, ushering in the first day of autumn, a change of season. How fitting that I'm in such a state of flux right now, during these travels.

Highlights from the last ten days!

Days 13-14 - Ashland, OR

 
Willow-Witt ranch outside of Ashland, OR

I felt like a bad ass because I was completely alone in this campground and I had to get over the fear at night of utter darkness.  It was also really cold in the mornings and at night, in the 40s (elevation 5000 feet) and why do we tend to feel more afraid when it's cold?  Shoulders tense, body tightens.  Had to breathe and repeat the mantra, "What would you do, Kerry, if you weren't afraid?"  And then I told myself I would relax and get a good night's sleep.

 . 
Saw Henry V and played Pickleball in Ashland, OR

Days 15-16 - Trinidad, CA

 . 

          
Trinidad, CA with Teacher Isobel, Talon, Cayenne & Andy Pruter
Got to organize their fridge AND play Pickleball in Eureka, it was a perfect day

Day 17 - 18 - Willits & Ft. Bragg, CA

   

 .  
Willits KOA & Ft. Bragg Glass Beach, CA with my BFF Jamie

Days 19 - 23 - Emandal Art Stay Camp, outside of Willits, CA on the Eel River, no WiFi or cell coverage.  I experienced both FOMO and JOMO. (Fear of Missing Out and Joy of Missing Out) 

  
 Watercolor camp with Tracy and The Ostrich

 
Eva Nichols, our amazing and talented watercolor teacher, check out her YouTube channel

The five watercolor and ink projects we completed:

       


Days 24 - 25 - Reno to Elko, NV


Winnemucca, Ridley's Market

After a wonderful break from the connected world at Emandal, I returned to Reno to regroup for two nights before heading east to Salt Lake City.  I was a guest in my own home!  I stayed in my guest room for these two nights because I'm renting out my house to a friend while I'm away.  I have a really nice guest room, I should stay in it more often.  And, my house is WAY bigger than my car.

I have been a hostess for so many years, especially in my former, married life.  It's a nice change of pace for me to be a guest in other people's homes for a while.  It's not in my nature to ask for things, so it is good practice for me to call or email a friend and say, "hey may I crash on your couch for a night?"  So far everyone has said YES!  And that's so sweet.

Today I lit out of Reno, for the second time on this trip, and headed to Elko, Nevada.  I had a pit stop in Winnemucca at Ridley's because I know where the bathrooms are.  And here I am, at The American Inn, in Elko, Nevada, looking forward to a warm, sleepy night on a soft, lumpy mattress.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have time to take a cruise up to the Ruby mtns tomorrow? The leaves should be changing and it will be amazing. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete