Friday, September 7, 2018

Welcome to Portland

Polaris Hall, Portland, OR

Enjoyed the quick, 4-hour, gorgeous drive along the Columbia River from La Grande, OR to the Portland airport gabbing with my friend Jennifer Jo nonstop. JJ and I have been friends for about 15 years and have hiked together every Friday morning at 8am for most of those years.  Even when I moved from Danville, CA to Reno, NV, we have kept our standing Friday morning call and hike.  Instead of in person, we just do it now with headsets on as we hike the trails separately, but still together.  It just wouldn't feel right if we ever let that go.

Having this rare travel time with her was a real treat.  We both appreciated how precious this was as we said our goodbyes at the airport. 

Hood River, OR

After saying goodbye to JJ, I headed to my friend Jim's farm in Washougal, WA.  Met up with old friends (Nicole and Andy) I used to work with at HighScope Educational Research Foundation in Ypsilanti, Michigan in the early 1990's.  Nicole and Andy live in Seattle, but were camping out on the farm with their kids on this last weekend of summer.

Nicole, Andy and Zoe on Jim's farm

Caught a gorgeous, country sunset from Jim's, as he calls it, Gentleman's Farm. This is a non-working 12-acre farm complete with horses, ducks, chickens, a pole barn, a real barn, an amazing garden, an orchard, a tiny guest house, music studio and neighborly neighbors.  

 

Jim's farm in Washougal, Washington

Just when I thought this land couldn't get any more serene or gorgeous, Jim took me one-half mile up the road to this overlook.  Ahhhh... 

Columbia Gorge at sunset

Jim and I went to the University of Michigan together in the late 1980s.  We were dear friends and I asked him to be my Maid of Honor in 1990.

Jim and all my maids of honor, 1990

Present day Jim and his 9-year-old twin girls, Dana & Vern

I got an insider's tour of Portland from Jim, mostly centered around the studios he co-owns in town.  One is opening soon, Polaris Hall. The other two venues are Revolution Hall and Mississippi Studios.  I'm super inspired by and impressed with his work in the community.  I love seeing someone do what he is meant to do, living his dharma.  

Working like a dog at Polaris Hall

Polaris Hall, Portland, OR

Jim asked, what is the purpose of my big road trip?  I think my answer is multidimensional and evolving.  

Adventure 
Reconnecting with old friends
Gaining perspective
Fun
Excitement
Seeing this beautiful country
Spontaneity
Stepping outside my comfort zone
Having an excuse to write
Feeling inspired to do more art
Gratitude


Days five and six!

No comments:

Post a Comment